Moving can be stressful. The SRQ Duo has compiled an easy checklist to keep even the most serious of procrastinators on track.
Six Weeks Before Move
- Call for moving estimates.
- Call the Chamber Of Commerce and Visitors & Convention Bureau in your new town and get their new resident information packages.
- Inventory all household items to be moved, and start packing NOW!
- Remove all items from basement, storage sheds, attics, and plan a garage sale or charity donation for all items you don't want to move.
- Start using things up that you can't move, like cleaning supplies and frozen food.
- Discuss tax-related moving expenses, liabilities, and deductions with your tax advisor.
- Make a list of all people/organizations to contact about change of address.
- Complete U.S. Postal Service change of address forms and mail them to all applicable publications, stores and organizations.
- Get copies of (or arrange for transfer at both ends of move) all school, medical, dental, veterinary, legal, and accounting records.
- Contact insurance agents to transfer or cancel coverage.
- If it's a company move, check with your employer to find out what moving expenses they cover.
- Get a mail subscription for the local paper in your new location to familiarize yourself with the new community, its activities and issues.
- Locate and obtain all automobile licensing and registration information.
Four Weeks Before Move